Lately I've been using Firefox on DragonFlyBSD with xorg installed from pkgsrc, and one thing that bugged me was that when reading Advogato, the fonts on that page looked like crap. The CSS stylesheet shows "lucida" as the preferred font, and my machine evidently was using a bitmap font for that.
At first I thought, just get rid of the bitmapped fonts from the FontPaths listed in
but surprisingly that didn't seem to have any effect, at least on Firefox.
Secondly, I tried just removing those bitmap font directories completely, such as
and that did work, but seemed a little clumsy in that an update to xorg would probably replace them.
Finally, stumbled across Fontconfig's files, and saw that there is a whole separate
configuration of font paths and such, starting in
which explains why changing the xorg.conf FontPath didn't work. Turns out there are even some optional
/usr/pkg/etc/fontconfig/conf.d/ including a
will cause fontconfig to "blacklist" the bitmap fonts.
The Fontconfig user manual mentions that things in
are processed if they begin with decimal digits. So to enable that no-bitmaps.conf, I just made a symlink.
cd /usr/pkg/etc/fontconfig/conf.d ln -s no-bitmaps.conf 10barryp-no-bitmaps.conf
Then, just had to stop/restart Firefox to see the results.
It would be nice to be a bit more selective about what gets blacklisted, so that non-Roman characters not supported in the scalable fonts on my machine would have some chance of displaying. I'll have to work on that.